“Treatment by Physical and Rehabilitation Means”
Physiotherapy has been recognized as a broadened branch of modern science, proven in its effectiveness, not only because of the improved functional condition of the patient but for his improved quality of life by also taking care of his mental and physical well being. The ultimate aim of physiotherapy is to restore the fullest possible functional activity in a patient, as possible taking into account his medical condition.
The Physiotherapy department at Prince Aly Khan Hospital has been providing an extremely comprehensive service to the institute and community, with its advanced equipment and a well qualified and skilled staff. The department takes care of the needs of indoor and out-patients 365 days of the year. The Prince Aly Khan Hospital staff is especially adept at managing respiratory, neural and orthopaedic cases, and in post-cardiac surgery rehabilitation. The staff is especially adept at managing respiratory, neural and orthopaedic cases and in post-cardiac surgery rehabilitation. Prince Aly Khan Hospital works towards the maintenance and rehabilitation of the individual’s physical activity, which means bringing back the lost activity to near-normal perfection.
Physiotherapy can be useful in the diagnosis and management of a wide range of injuries, diseases and processes, for example:
- Neurological Conditions Like Stroke Rehabilitation, Spinal Cord Injuries, Peripheral Neuropathy
- Paediatric Problems Like Cerebral Palsy, Muscular Dystrophy
- Orthopaedic Conditions Like Arthritis, Rehabilitation Post Fractures, Neck And Back Pain,
Sport Injuries Etc.
- Rehabilitation Following Cardiac Surgery
- Chest Condition Like Chronic Airway Disease, Asthma Management, Post Surgical Chest
- Amputee Rehabilitation
- Urine Incontinence
Physiotherapy uses the following methods to help relieve pain in patients:
- Paraffin wax is effectively used in sub-acute and chronic traumatic and inflammatory conditions and is especially useful in Rheumatoid Arthritis. It also helps in treatment after a fracture and arthritis on proximal joints as the wax envelops all the contours of a joint.
- Intermittent and static electrical traction units are used in spinal nerve root impingement degenerative disc diseases, spinal stenosis and in muscle spasm of cervical and lumbar region.
- Ultrasonic therapy helps relieves pain in diseases like bursitis, myalgia tendonitis, synovitis, old scar tissues, etc.
- Shortwave diathermy is used for treatment of lower back ache and shoulder, elbow, knee, ear, tooth and jaw disorders.
- Interferential current therapy is used for lumbago, herpes zoster, osteoarthritis of the knee, cervical spondylosis, etc.