Medical Neurology is concerned with disease of the brain and its coverings (meninges), spinal cord, nerve roots, peripheral nerves and muscles. Neurological diagnosis requires a careful and detailed history of the patient’s illness. Skilled examination, and as necessary, appropriate investigations including imaging and neurophysiological studies. Effective medical treatment is now available for a number of previously difficult-to-treat neurological illnesses. Some
conditions like tumours of the brain and spinal cord require neurosurgical operations.
Common or well known disorders that neurologists, or neurosurgeons where appropriate, treat include:
- Migraine and other kinds of chronic headache
- Epilepsy and other states of loss of consciousness
- Tumours (benign or malignant) of brain and spinal cord
- Stroke, paralysis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease and other movement disorders such as chorea and tremor
- Vertigo and disorders of balance
- Diseases of spinal cord, paraplegia
- Neck, arm and low back pain and sciatica
- Peripheral nerve disorders such as carpel tunnel syndrome, peripheral neuropathy presenting with tingling and numbness
- Myasthenia gravis
- Muscle diseases .e.g. muscular dystrophy and polymyositis
Neurosciences at Prince Aly Khan Hospital
The hospital has experienced departments of neurology and neurosurgery. Both departments have senior consultant staff and access to excellent diagnostic facilities. Serious neurological cases are managed in the hospital’s well set up Intensive Care Units. The Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation Department offers highly skilled therapists to help patients overcome their disabilities.
Neurodiagnostic facilities at Prince Aly Khan Hospital
- General electric CT scanner, reported by highly qualified and experienced Radiologists.
- EEG – Nicolet and San-ei machines.
- Nerve conduction studies, Electromyography (EMG) – Nicolet machine.
The department of Neuro Surgery is staffed and equipped.
The department is geared to manage most of the neurosurgical disorders. A physiotherapy and rehabilitation department offers exceptional neuro-rehabilitation.
The department performs complex neuro-surgical procedures including Skull Base Surgery. It is well equipped to treat all types of emergency and elective neurosurgical problems.
The department is run by a team of highly qualified neuro-surgeons, nurses and expert technical assistants who work together in multidisciplinary collaboration to provide the best possible care to the patients.
- Acute Intensive Care Of Head And Spinal Cord Trauma.
- Consultants Are Available Round The Clock To Attend All Type Of Head And Spine Injuries, Strokes And Other Neurosurgical Emergencies.
- Comprehensive And Early Rehabilitation Services With Physiotherapy, Occupational
Therapy, Respiratory Therapy, Speech Therapy And Neuropsychology.
- Operation Facilities Are Available Round The Clock.
- All type of Brain Tumours are removed microscopically.
Examples of Brain Tumours operated are Meningiomas, Pituitary Tumours, Craniopharyngioma, Glioma, Hemangioblastoma, Ependymoma, Acoustic Tumours, Rigeminal Neuromas, Base Of Skull Tumours, Skull Tumours, Orbital Tumours, Intraventricular Tumours, Etc.
- Cerebral Ischaemia: Carotid Endarterectomy, Carotid Angioplasty And Stenting.
- Arteriovenous Malformations: Microsurgical Excision, Endovascular Embolisation, Radiosurgery.
- Hypertensive Haematomas: Fibrinolysis.
- Multi-Disciplinary Management of Congenital Spinal Dysraphism, Spinal Tumours and Degenerative Spinal Disorders; Advanced Spinal Fusion Techniques.
- Treatment of Congenital Spinal Conditions, Neonatal Intraventricular Haemorrhage, Hydrocephalus and Paediatric Tumours.
- Surgery of Brachial Plexus and other Peripheral Nerves is performed under microscope. All type of Traumatic, Neoplastic, Entrapment Disorders of nerves are dealt with. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is operated under local Anesthesia on a Day Care basis.
- General Electric CT Scanner, Reported by Highly Qualified and Experienced Radiologists.
- EEG – Nicolet and San-Ei Machines.
- Nerve Conduction Studies, Electromyography (EMG) – Nicolet Machine.
- CT Guided Biopsy and Aspirations of Brain and Spine Lesions.